Author Topic: Applying a repeating pattern to a sphere - line-work for use in pattern making  (Read 2387 times)

CadSlanger

• View Profile
    • Email
I have a large glass sphere that I need to apply a repeating pattern on, then create a flattened output file so that sand blast mask can be applied to the sphere to allow the pattern to be "etched" into the sphere.  I have a the pattern in vector art, and need to somehow apply and distort said pattern to the sphere in 3d, then unroll it so it can be run on a plotter.  I realize you cant unroll a spherical shape in rhino... but that problem is superseded by the fact that i cant even figure out how to apply the vector art to the sphere in the first place....  Any methods someone could point me toward to get this done would be greatly appreciated.  the pattern is essential intersecting lines that need to tessellate around the perimeter.  I was able to export the vector art as a jpeg and apply it as a texture and get it to fit and look right....  But unfortunately since you cant really permanently distort a texture graphic using the sphere, or use a jpeg to create a plotter file....  SAVE ME RHINO GODS......  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Thanks for your time.

*edit*  I got the pattern applied in vector art using applycrv.... but i still cant really think of how to new make a pattern for the plotter.  Im thinking obviously of a "orange peel" pattern....  Like a line of surfboards stuck in the sand if you follow my abstract thought.....  but even if i slice up the sphere, i still cant unroll the pattern due to the fact that its still a segment of a sphere.... so Im only a little closer to the answer.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:04:45 PM by CadSlanger »

arialzaffir

• Global Moderator
  • I know where my towel is.
    • View Profile
    • Email
hi pal
what you are looking for is a plug-in called paneling tools. it does precisely what you are looking for (even the unrolling part if I am not wrong)
here it is
http://wiki.mcneel.com/labs/panelingtools
enjoy the trip;)
Weekly inspiration: Muddy Waters - Going Down the Main Street

CadSlanger

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the tip...  downloading the plugin now...  I did figure out a (labour intensive) way to do it of the plugin doesnt work...  Basically splice the sphere up like an orange, then align the slices, and slice them horizontally a lot of times and rotate the segments till each "slice" is somewhat flat, then project the "semi" flattened slices to a new plane....  it wont be as detailed as doing it in a proper unroll. but worth a shot i guess! 

Thanks again for the tip

arialzaffir

• Global Moderator
  • I know where my towel is.
    • View Profile
    • Email
ur welcome mate. paneling tools is somewhat complicated to grasp on the go but you'll definitely spend less time learning it rather than doing what you say;)
Weekly inspiration: Muddy Waters - Going Down the Main Street